18 September 2020 SITE MAP CONTACT LINKS

Search for Advanced search

14/05/2008

Sanctuaries and temples

Municipality of Argos


Under Construction

On the top, near the place where the little church of Agia Marina is today, there was a temple of Zeus Larissaios, in which there was a wooden statue, which was worshiped almost until the days of Pausanias.
The little church of Agia Marina was founded in 1859 as we learn from the epigraph. It became a womens monastery in 1965.
There was also a temple of Athena.
From an epigraph of the 12th century, we learn that on the top and in the second surrounding wall of the fort, a christianic temple of Virgin Mary was founded in 1166 A.D. by Niketas, the Bishop of Argos. During the archaeological excavations of 1928, which were operated by Valgraph, an archaeologist from the Netherlands, ruins of this temple were discovered there.
On the way up, there was the temple of Akraia Hera, meaning Hera of heights, in the place where the temple of Panagia Katakekrymmeni is today.
Near this place there was a temple of Apollo Pythaeus or Deiradiotis, named after the location, which was called Deiras (saddle). In this temple there was an oracle, which still existed at the time of Pausanias. In this oracle a sheep was sacrificed and one of the virgins vaticinated once a month during the night.
Ploutarhos refers to a woman, named Apollonis, who had oracular abilities and was a protégée of Apollo. During the war against Pyrrhus, she rushed out of the temple, crying she saw the city full of carcasses and slaughter, and an eagle coming out to fight and presently vanishing again (Plutarch, Pyrrhus, 31).
The temple of Pythaeus Apollo was the centre of the union of Argolic cities, which had to send their offers there. All treaties were written there.
After the temple of Pythaeus Apollo, there is another temple of Athena Oxyderkis, where the king Akrisios was buried, according to the tradition.
Near the temple of Athena Oxyderkis there was the stadium, where athletic competitions were held in honor of Nemios Zeus and Hera. Over the stadium, on the way to the left, at the Acropolis, there was a tomb, where the heads of Egypts sons, which were cut by the Danaides, were buried. At the foothill of the Acropolis a Roman aquaduct is saved.



print preview

Audio-Video files
No audio or video files.

Useful links
No links.

Other files
No other files.

Region's Anouncements